USA and Iran Partnering in Iraq? 5 questions answered – #2Posted: July 24, 2014
2. What is the difference between Shiites and Sunnis?
- Their differences go back to 632 AD when Mohammad died.
- The issue that divided them centered around whom must rule the Islamic Empire after the death of Mohammad.
- Sunnis believe that the Caliphs should rule, which is historically what happened.
- Shiites believe that the family bloodline of Mohammad should rule and the Caliphs were evil people who unrightfully took over the power after Mohammad.
- There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. 85% are Sunnis and 15% are Shiites. Shiites are the majority only in Iran and Iraq.